Day in the Life
Jordan Huller

About Jordan

Jordan Huller
The Broad Residency 2018-2020

Jordan Huller is a member of The Broad Residency's 2018-2020 cohort and serves as Director of Human Resources and Talent at Prospect Schools.

May 30
5:55 a.m.

Right when I wake up, I spend 2-3 minutes with my cat, Tiramisu, before hopping out of bed and really beginning my day.

6:00 a.m.

Everyday begins with me meditating. It’s really one of the best parts of the day and helps me get started the right way.

6:30 a.m.

I have my coffee and breakfast while listening to a podcast, typically the news.

7:15 a.m.

I walk to one of our middle schools to get ready for a couple of interviews my team is managing that day (it happens to be literally around the corner from my apartment).

8:55 a.m.

After checking and responding to some e-mails from the previous afternoon, I set up the two interviews for the day – one is for a Mandarin Teaching position and the other for an Operations role.

10:30 a.m.

Once the interviews are completed, I head to our central office, about a 40-minute walk from this school. My days typically begin at the central office, so I am diligent about making sure I get my walk in, even if my day did not start there.

10:35 a.m.

While on my walk, I conduct a phone interview (we are hiring for a member of my team right now – every second counts).

11:30 a.m.

I have a meeting with one of my senior leaders about our orientation for new faculty in August. I am leading the redesign for some components and want his feedback.

12:30 p.m.

Right before I hop on a call with a consultant I am working with, I heat up my lunch. I take my lunch while I am on the call.

1:00 p.m.

Later this afternoon, I am leading a meeting with some of the Principals and other leaders of my organization around making some changes to our evaluation rubrics for our faculty and staff. I want to make sure the materials and my talking points are ready for that meeting, so I spend a bit of time going through everything.

1:30 p.m.

It’s my team’s weekly check-in, so I head to one of our conference rooms in my office for that. It’s a really busy time of year for my team, so we spend the majority of the time giving updates about certain projects and our progress toward hiring goals.

2:45 p.m.

My evaluation meeting is at 3:00pm and I head over to our elementary school (around the corner from our central office) so that I can be with our elementary Principal during the call.

3:00 p.m.

The evaluation meeting begins with a few of our Principals and network leaders. There is a lot to dig into and some really good feedback. After an hour and a half, we are feeling good about changes we are making to our evaluation tools for the 19-20 school year.

4:30 p.m.

One of our social workers suggested that we check out a new product to support employees and their mental health. I have agreed to take a call with a representative from this site about the product and its benefits to see if it could be a fit.

5:00 p.m.

I have a call with a peer at a similarly-sized CMO here in Brooklyn about some work we are doing around our diversity, equity, and inclusion programming for next year.

5:30 p.m.

Between those meetings and calls, a number of e-mails have popped up (some time-sensitive, some not). I respond to a good chunk of them, calendar some work time for myself for the following day for the remainder of them, and pack up my things.

6:05 p.m.

I begin my walk home (best part of my day).

7:00 p.m.

I have dinner!

8:00 p.m.

Through the Broad Residency, I am part of an optional learning module for managers who want to talk to other managers within the Broad Center network about… managing teams. It’s a video call, and it’s a really nice opportunity to engage with folks about what is going on in my organization and on my team in a casual, but productive, way.

9:00 p.m.

I am trying to read more. So I read for a bit before heading to bed.

10:00 p.m.

Yes, I am in bed and (hopefully) asleep by this time during the week.

Aug 19
5:55 a.m.

Right when I wake up, I spend 2-3 minutes with my cat, Tiramisu, before hopping out of bed and really starting off my day.

6:00 a.m.

I begin every morning with a meditation. It’s really one of the best parts of my day and helps me get started the right way.

6:30 a.m.

I have my coffee and breakfast while listening to a podcast. Usually, it’s the news, but I am now starting my mornings with different podcasts. This morning, I listen to a rerun of a “Reply All” episode.

8:15 a.m.

Today, all our leaders return to school from having the summer off. We are hosting a large day of professional development, at which I am presenting a couple of sessions – so I arrive there early to make sure my room is set up and copies are made.

10:30 a.m.

I begin the session I am leading on our evaluation tool. This session is for managers and is training them on how to effectively use our updated evaluation tool with their teams for the new year. Specifically, we are working on setting and evaluating progress toward SMART goals.

12:15 p.m.

Lunch is catered, so I head to the Commons and eat with some of our Department Heads at our various schools and catch up with them about their summers.

12:40 p.m.

I have some afternoon meetings at our central office (we call it the Treehouse) and so I head there. (It’s very hot outside, but I am committed to walking so brave the heat and walk anyway.)

1:30 p.m.

We have a new person joining my team in the morning, which is exciting. I spend some time finalizing his on-boarding plan to make sure his first few weeks are accounted for and that we have a good sense of his first 30, 60, and 90 days.

2:30 p.m.

I meet with a member of my team who is supporting with the new staff member’s on-boarding.

3:00 p.m.

The week before, my team led a 90-person, 2-night/3-day Retreat at Rutgers University. I take some time to go through our survey data, since I have a post-mortem meeting later this week to prepare for.

3:30 p.m.

My team is leading sessions all next week with all of our schools around our employee handbook and important policies and procedures. I meet with them to review our materials and do a run-through to make sure we’re ready.

4:30 p.m.

Our organization has partnered with a consulting group to help us interrogate our current practices around diversity, equity, and inclusion, and to make some suggestions on equity goals over the next couple of years. I owe them some artifacts as they prepare their work with us, so I pull those together to share.

5:00 p.m.

I begin my walk home!

6:30 p.m.

I have dinner and catch up on the previous night’s episode of Succession (!).

8:30 p.m.

I have a phone date with one of my best friends who lives in California (8:30pm is our cross-country sweet spot, time-wise).

10:00 p.m.

I am in bed. I have a very intimidating stack of books on my nightstand that I swore I would finish by the end of summer. I am getting there.

Nov 6
5:45 a.m.

I wake up, put the coffee on, and get ready to go to the gym (I am trying to develop a consistent gym routine – we’ll see how this goes!)

7:05 a.m.

Today is a big day – I am working with our Director of Communications to create a promotional video about our organization. We have commissioned a videographer and crew to guide us. I am meeting them at one of our elementary schools to set up for a day of filming.

7:45 a.m.

I meet our Director of Communications and his crew to help them get started. We go over the day’s schedule and I show them around the campus and our central office so they can be self-sufficient for the morning.

9:00 a.m.

I meet with a member of our Network Operations Team about a shared project we are working on regarding professional development for our non-instructional staff throughout the organization.

9:30 a.m.

We recently launched a search for a new Chief Operating Officer, and I conduct phone interviews for an hour and a half. This is the person to whom I will report, and a mission critical role for our organization, so I have a lot invested in this.

11:30 a.m.

I have a 1:1 with a member of my team. It’s the first time she and I are in the same place at the same time in a while, so it’s particularly nice.

12:00 p.m.

I am trying to prioritize a non-working lunch. It does not happen today, but I eat lunch while I catch up on emails.

12:30 p.m.

Tomorrow, my team and I will be doing a step-back around our hiring strategies for the upcoming season. I spend some time prepping to ensure that time is as fruitful as possible.

1:00 p.m.

This year, we launched a leadership development program for the school leaders in our network. The cohort convenes monthly and we are already planning for December. I take a look at our feedback surveys and share the data with one of our leaders who is facilitating so we can align on next month’s content.

1:30 p.m.

I run over to the elementary school to support with our video project. The morning focused on capturing B-roll of our faculty, staff and students. The afternoon, the film crew will capture interviews with a few different folks from throughout the organization, and I am leading that part.

2:15 p.m.

Our first interview starts with one of our school culture leaders. I spend the next four hours interviewing a couple of other schools’ leaders and a few of our faculty. As a recruitment person, I always learn so much and get so many tips on how to talk about our organization. It’s really inspiring.

6:30 p.m.

I head home. It’s a bit cold, but I decide to walk (and grab dinner along the way).

7:30 p.m.

Finally, I’m home. I hang out with my cat (her name is Misu, if you’re following these) and she is the best part of my day! Then I watch a really terrible movie before getting ready for bed.

10:00 p.m.

I am reading “On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous” by Ocean Vuong. I finish it. It’s beautiful and really heartbreaking.

11:00 p.m.

I fall asleep.